The Winnipeg Jets finish a four-game road trip tonight by visiting the Washington Capitals, which begins a home-and-home set between the two teams…The Jets lost 2-1 to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday to fall to 1-2-0 on the road trip…Winnipeg hosts Washington on Thursday at Bell MTS Place.
Feb. 23 at BUF – 2-1 L
Jets Scorer: Wheeler (21)
Sabres Scorer: Okposo (8, 9)
Jets Goaltender: Connor Hellebuyck (23 sv, 2 ga)
Sabres Goaltender: Jonas Johansson (25 sv, 1 ga)
Jets PP: 0-for-1
Jets PK: 3-for-3
Recap: The Jets lost 2-1 to the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday afternoon…Blake Wheeler tallied Winnipeg’s only goal of the game in the first period…Jansen Harkins had a primary assist and led the Jets with six shots…Andrew Copp won a career high 19 face-offs…Winnipeg won 67.9% of the face-offs, which was the 11th most in a game in franchise history.
Three Stars: 1. Okposo 2. Johansson 3. Girgensons
Next Five Games
|Feb. 27||7:00 p.m.||Washington||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 29||8:00 p.m.||At Edmonton||Rogers Place||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 3||7:00 p.m.||Buffalo||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 6||7:00 p.m.||Vegas||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 9||7:00 p.m.||Arizona||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
On the Road
Winnipeg is in a stretch of five of six games on the road…The Jets are 2-6-0 in their past eight road games, but are still tied for 12th in the NHL on the road this season with a record of 16-13-2…The Jets are a perfect 10-for-10 on the penalty kill in their past three road games to push themselves to 80% for the season, which is 13th in the league.
The Jets have allowed the first goal of the game in eight consecutive contests…The Jets had scored the game’s opening goal in six consecutive contests before this streak…Winnipeg is 12-19-4 this season when trailing first, which is tied for the seventh most wins.
The Jets are a perfect 12-for-12 on the penalty kill in their past five games and 18-for-19 (94.7%) in their past eight games…Winnipeg is third in the NHL in penalty kill percentage in February at 92.3%…Andrew Copp leads the Jets in shorthanded ice time this season at 129:43.
Jansen Harkins had a career high six shots on Sunday against Buffalo…He had a combined 14 shots in his first 23 NHL games this season…Harkins has three points (1G, 2A) in his past five games.
The Jets are one of eight teams in the NHL this season with two players with 60 points…Patrik Laine is one point shy of 60 to give the Jets three 60-point getters, while Blake Wheeler is three points away as well…The franchise record for most players with 60 points in a season is four, which has been done three times.
At the Deadline
Winnipeg didn’t made a deal on NHL trade deadline day…The Jets made two trades in the days leading up to the deadline, acquiring Dylan DeMelo from the Ottawa Senators and Cody Eakin from the Vegas Golden Knights.
Jets vs. Capitals All-Time Records
At Bell MTS Place: 6-5-1
- The Jets have a point in five of their last seven games against Washington (3-2-2).
- The winning team has scored three goals in each of the past three games between the Jets and Capitals.
- The Jets are 1-for-20 (5.0%) on the power play in their past six games against the Capitals, but are 10-for-11 (90.9%) on the penalty kill in the past four meetings.
- The Jets are 9-10-4 against the Capitals since the franchise moved to Winnipeg. The Jets dominated the matchups early with a 5-1-1 record in the first seven meetings after the franchise relocated to Winnipeg when the two sides were in the former Southeast Division.
- Winnipeg is winless in their past seven games in Washington (0-5-2)…The Jets last win at Capital One Center was on Jan. 22/13 in a game in which Blake Wheeler scored the game-winning goal.
- Blake Wheeler leads players on Winnipeg’s active roster in career scoring against Washington with 18 points (5G, 13A) in 35 games.
- Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck is 3-2-1 in six career starts against Washington with a 2.12 goals-against average and .928 save percentage.
Career Scoring vs. the Capitals
Career Goaltending Against the Capitals
Former Capitals Playing for the Jets
F – Cody Eakin
F – Mathieu Perreault
Former Jets Playing for the Capitals
- Needs three goals to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs nine points to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs one game played to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs two games played to pass Jacob Trouba (408) for 12th in games played in franchise history.
- Needs two penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs four games played to reach 400 with the Jets franchise.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 13th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs two assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six penalty minutes to reach 100 for his NHL career.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- 6 at STL – Played in his 400th career NHL game.
- 31 vs. BOS – Played in his 500th career NHL game.
- 8 vs. OTT – Reached 600 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- 18 vs. LAK – Played his 700th game as a member of the Jets franchise.
Feb. 4 – Activated D – Nathan Beaulieu from injured reserve; Placed F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve
Feb. 5 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 12 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 13 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 15 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 16 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 18 – Acquired D – Dylan DeMelo from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a third round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft; Placed D – Luca Sbisa on injured reserve
Feb. 21 – Acquired F – Cody Eakin from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a fourth round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft; Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 24 – Assigned F – Logan Shaw to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||57|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||48|
|Carl Dahlstrom*||Upper Body||Dec. 14 vs. VAN||17|
|Adam Lowry*||Upper Body||Dec. 19 at CHI||15|
|Mathieu Perreault*||Upper Body||Jan. 31 vs. BOS||12|
|Luca Sbisa*||Upper Body||Feb. 16 vs. CHI||4|
|Josh Morrissey||Upper Body||Feb. 22 at PHI||1|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 275
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (14) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Niku, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (5) – Beaulieu, Eakin, DeMelo, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (7) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Kulikov, Letestu, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose went 1-1-1 on a three-game road trip last weekend…The Moose sit in eighth place in the Central Division with a record of 24-32-1…Manitoba begins a four-game homestand on Saturday with the first of two games against the Chicago Wolves.
TV: TSN3 – Dennis Beyak & Kevin Sawyer
Radio: TSN 1290 – Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz