The Winnipeg Jets visit the Buffalo Sabres this afternoon in the third game of a four-game road trip…The Jets fell to 1-1-0 on the trip after a 4-2 loss to the Philadelphia Flyers yesterday afternoon…The Jets finish the trip Tuesday against the Washington Capitals.
Feb. 22 at PHI – 4-2 L
Jets Scorers: Morrissey (5), Laine (26)
Flyers Scorers: Laughton (11, 12), Couturier (19), Pitlick (7)
Jets Goaltender: Connor Hellebuyck (26 sv, 4 ga)
Flyers Goaltender: Carter Hart (27 sv, 2 ga)
Jets PP: 1-for-2
Jets PK: 3-for-3
Recap: The Jets made it a one-goal game in the third period, but lost 4-2 to the Philadelphia Flyers yesterday…Patrik Laine scored and led the Jets with eight shots and five hits.
Three Stars: 1. Laughton 2. Laine 3. Couturier
Next Five Games
|Feb. 25||7:00 p.m.||At Washington||Capital One Arena||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 27||7:00 p.m.||Washington||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 29||8:00 p.m.||At Edmonton||Rogers Place||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 3||7:00 p.m.||Buffalo||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 6||7:00 p.m.||Vegas||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
The Jets are 6-5-0 in games played on Sunday this season…Winnipeg has won their past two games on Sunday’s – a pair of back-to-back wins against the Chicago Blackhawks at Bell MTS Place…The Jets play on four of the last six Sunday’s remaining in the regular season…Mark Scheifele leads the Jets in scoring in Sunday games with 10 points (6G, 4A) in 11 games, including three game-winning goals…Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck is 6-3-0 in Sunday games with a 2.11 goals-against average and .930 save percentage.
The Jets are a perfect 12-for-12 on the penalty kill in their past five games and 18-for-19 (94.7%) in their past eight games…Winnipeg is third in the NHL in penalty kill percentage in February at 92.3%.
The Jets are 7-3-1 in afternoon games this season…The seven wins have set a franchise record for most wins in afternoon games in a season…Winnipeg plays 14 afternoon games this season, which is the most in a season in franchise history…The previous high was 11 during the 2013-14 and 2016-17 seasons…Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in scoring in day games this season with 16 points (3G, 13A) in 11 games, while Patrik Laine has a team best eight goals.
The Jets have 10 back-to-back sets this season, the ninth of which is this weekend…The Jets are 5-4-0 in the first and 4-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs this season…Four of the nine wins have come in overtime or a shootout…Winnipeg went 6-3-0 in the first game and 5-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs last season.
Patrik Laine has a point in four consecutive games (2G, 4A)…Since Jan. 9, Laine is averaging a point per game with 19 points (11G 8A) in 19 games…He has a point in 13 of the 19 games, highlighted by a hat trick on Feb. 8 against Ottawa…Laine needs one point to reach 60 points for the third time in his four NHL seasons…His goal yesterday leaves him needing four more goals to reach 30 goals scored in all four seasons.
Power Play Pionk
Defenceman Neal Pionk registered his 21st power play assist of the season yesterday…It’s the 14th most PPA in a season in franchise history and one shy of matching the franchise record for most PPA by a defenceman in a season…Pionk’s previous career high for PPA was 11, which he accomplished last season with the New York Rangers.
Most Power Play Assists By A Defenceman
Power Play Assists
Jets vs. Sabres All-Time Records
At Bell MTS Place: 6-2-1
- The Jets have points in four consecutive games against the Sabres (3-0-1).
- Winnipeg is 4-for-10 (40.0%) on the power play and 14-for-16 (87.5%) on the penalty kill in the past four games against Buffalo.
- Winnipeg is 6-3-1 in Buffalo since relocation in 2011.
- Winnipeg and Buffalo completed a seven-player and one draft pick trade on Feb. 11/15. Winnipeg selected Jack Roslovic in the first round of the 2015 NHL Draft with the draft pick obtained from Buffalo and he’s the only player still with either team from the trade.
- Mark Scheifele is averaging more than a point per game against Buffalo with 10 points (5G, 5A) in nine games.
- Gabriel Bourque’s .75 points per game against the Sabres in the most against any NHL team during his career.
- Despite not having a win in two career starts against Buffalo, goaltender Laurent Brossoit has a 1.46 goals-against average and .952 save percentage against the Sabres.
Career Scoring vs. the Sabres
Career Goaltending Against the Sabres
Former Sabres Playing for the Jets
D – Nathan Beaulieu
Former Jets Playing for the Sabres
- Needs three goals to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs nine points to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs two games played to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs two games played to pass Jacob Trouba (408) for 12th in games played in franchise history.
- Needs two penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs four games played to reach 400 with the Jets franchise.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 13th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs two assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six penalty minutes to reach 100 for his NHL career.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- Feb. 6 at STL – Played in his 400th career NHL game.
- Jan. 31 vs. BOS – Played in his 500th career NHL game.
- Feb. 8 vs. OTT – Reached 600 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- Feb. 18 vs. LAK – Played his 700th game as a member of the Jets franchise.
Feb. 4 – Activated D – Nathan Beaulieu from injured reserve; Placed F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve
Feb. 5 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 12 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 13 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 15 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 16 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 18 – Acquired D – Dylan DeMelo from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a third round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft; Placed D – Luca Sbisa on injured reserve
Feb. 21 – Acquired F – Cody Eakin from the Vegas Golden Knights in exchange for a fourth round pick in the 2021 NHL Draft; Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||56|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||47|
|Carl Dahlstrom*||Upper Body||Dec. 14 vs. VAN||16|
|Adam Lowry*||Upper Body||Dec. 19 at CHI||14|
|Mathieu Perreault*||Upper Body||Jan. 31 vs. BOS||11|
|Luca Sbisa*||Upper Body||Feb. 16 vs. CHI||3|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 268
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (14) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Niku, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (5) – Beaulieu, Eakin, DeMelo, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (7) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Kulikov, Letestu, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose ended a three-game road trip with a 5-4 overtime loss to the Belleville Senators last night…C.J. Suess led the Moose with three assists…Manitoba begins a four-game homestand on Saturday against the Chicago Wolves.
TV: TSN3 – Dennis Beyak & Kevin Sawyer
Radio: TSN 1290 – Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz