The Winnipeg Jets play the second game of a four-game road trip this afternoon when they visit the Philadelphia Flyers…The Jets beat the Ottawa Senators 5-1 on Thursday to begin the road trip…Winnipeg plays their second game is as many days on Sunday when the team travels to Buffalo for a matinee against the Sabres.
Feb. 20 at OTT – 5-1 W
Jets Scorers: Scheifele (24, 25, 26), Connor (30), Ehlers (22)
Senators Scorers: Paul (8)
Jets Goaltender: Laurent Brossoit (29 sv, 1 ga)
Senators Goaltender: Marcus Hogberg (29 sv, 5 ga)
Jets PP: 3-for-6
Jets PK: 4-for-4
Recap: The Jets scored five unanswered goals to defeat the Ottawa Senators 5-1 on Thursday night…Mark Scheifele tallied a hat trick and an assist to lead the Jets, while Kyle Connor had a goal and an assist to reach 30 goals on the season…Gabriel Bourque led the Jets with four hits.
Three Stars: 1. Scheifele 2. Connor 3. Laine
Next Five Games
|Feb. 23||3:00 p.m.||At Buffalo||KeyBank Center||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 25||7:00 p.m.||At Washington||Capital One Arena||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 27||7:00 p.m.||Washington||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Feb. 29||8:00 p.m.||At Edmonton||Rogers Place||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
|Mar. 3||7:00 p.m.||Buffalo||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
Wins of Three
The Jets have won three games in a row for the fifth time this season, which matches their longest winning streak of the campaign…Two of the winning streaks have come in February, as the Jets have gone 7-2-1…The last time the Jets had a winning streak longer than three games was a four-game streak from Mar. 14-20/19.
The Jets are a perfect nine-for-nine on the penalty kill in their past four games and 15-for-16 (93.8%) in their past seven games…Winnipeg is third in the NHL in penalty kill percentage in February at 91.3%.
The Jets are 7-2-1 in afternoon games this season…The seven wins have set a franchise record for most wins in afternoon games in a season…Winnipeg plays 14 afternoon games this season, which is the most in a season in franchise history…The previous high was 11 during the 2013-14 and 2016-17 seasons…Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in scoring in day games this season with 15 points (3G, 12A) in 10 games, while Patrik Laine has a team best seven goals…Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck has played in nine afternoon games, posting a 1.90 goals-against average and .940 save percentage.
The Jets have 10 back-to-back sets this season, the ninth of which is this weekend…The Jets are 5-3-0 in the first and 4-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs this season…Four of the nine wins have come in overtime or a shootout…Winnipeg went 6-3-0 in the first game and 5-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs last season.
Rare PIM Outburst
The Jets matched a season high with 35 penalty minutes in Thursday’s win against Ottawa…It’s just the third time this season the Jets have taken more than 30 penalty minutes in a game…Winnipeg is averaging 7.7 penalty minutes per game this season, which is 11th fewest in the NHL…The Jets have been shorthanded the second fewest amount of times this season at 156.
Hatty for Scheifs
Mark Scheifele tallied his third career hat trick on Thursday against the Senators…The hat trick ended a 12-game goalless drought for Scheifele, who had one goal in his previous 16 games…He joins Kyle Connor and Patrik Laine as Jets with hat tricks this season.
Lots of Draws
Mark Scheifele took a career high 35 face-offs on Thursday, which was three shy of the franchise record for most in a game… Scheifele won a career high 20 of the 35 face-offs, which was one short of the franchise record.
30 for KC
Kyle Connor is the first Jets player to reach 30 goals this season…It’s the third consecutive season he’s reached 30 goals…Ilya Kovalchuk (7) and Patrik Laine (3) are the only other players in franchise history to have three or more 30-goal seasons, while Mark Scheifele is four goals away from becoming the fourth member.
Connor Hellebuyck has made 31 saves in back-to-back wins…He’s made 30 or more saves in a game 25 times this season, which leads the NHL…Hellebuyck is 15-5-5 with a 2.20 goals-against average and .941 save percentage this season in games he’s made 30 or more saves.
Jets vs. Flyers All-Time Records
At Bell MTS Place: 7-2-2
- The Jets won the first meeting of the season between these two teams 7-3 at Bell MTS Place on Dec. 15…Winnipeg has posted seven goals in each of their past two wins against Philadelphia.
- The Jets have allowed three goals or less in each of their past six games against Philadelphia and have outscored the Flyers 21-13 in the half dozen games.
- Winnipeg is 10-for-31 (32.3%) on the power play in its past six games against the Flyers, having scored a power play goal in each of the six games.
- The Jets are 14-for-16 (87.5%) on the penalty kill in their past seven games against the Flyers.
- Winnipeg is winless in their past seven games to Wells Fargo Center (0-6-1)…The Jets last win in Philly came on Jan. 1/12 when Bryan Little scored the shootout winner in a 2-1 victory…Blake Wheeler is the only Jets player on the active roster that played in that game.
- Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in career scoring against the Flyers with 29 points (6G, 23A) in 34 games.
- Mark Scheifele is averaging more than a point per game in his career against the Flyers with 16 points (4G, 12A) in 12 games.
- Connor Hellebuyck has a .928 save percentage in four career starts against Philadelphia.
Career Scoring vs. the Flyers
Career Goaltending Against the Flyers
Former Flyers Playing for the Jets
Former Jets Playing for the Flyers
F – Kevin Hayes
- Needs three goals to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs nine points to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs three games played to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs two games played to pass Jacob Trouba (408) for 12th in games played in franchise history.
- Needs two penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 200 for his NHL career.
- Needs four games played to reach 400 with the Jets franchise.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 13th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs two assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs seven assists to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six penalty minutes to reach 100 for his NHL career.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- Feb. 6 at STL – Played in his 400th career NHL game.
- Feb. 8 vs. OTT – Reached 600 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- Feb. 18 vs. LAK – Played his 700th game as a member of the Jets franchise.
Jan. 23 – Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling, D – Nelson Nogier, and F – Kristian Vesalainen to the Manitoba Moose
Jan. 26 – Recalled D – Cameron Schilling from the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Reassigned F – Jansen Harkins to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Jan. 28 – Recalled F – Jansen Harkins from the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Jan. 30 – Recalled D – Cameron Schilling and F – Logan Shaw from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 4 – Activated D – Nathan Beaulieu from injured reserve; Placed F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve
Feb. 5 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 12 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 13 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 15 – Reassigned F – Andrei Chibisov to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 16 – Recalled F – Andrei Chibisov from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Feb. 18 – Acquired D – Dylan DeMelo from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for a third round pick in the 2020 NHL Draft; Placed D – Luca Sbisa on injured reserve
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||55|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||46|
|Carl Dahlstrom*||Upper Body||Dec. 14 vs. VAN||15|
|Adam Lowry*||Upper Body||Dec. 19 at CHI||13|
|Mathieu Perreault*||Upper Body||Jan. 31 vs. BOS||10|
|Luca Sbisa*||Upper Body||Feb. 16 vs. CHI||2|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 262
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (14) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Niku, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (4) – Beaulieu, DeMelo, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (8) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Chibisov, Kulikov, Letestu, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose continue a three-game road trip tonight when they face the Belleville Senators…The Moose lost 4-1 to the Laval Rocket last night to split the first two games of the trip.
TV: Sportsnet – RJ Broadhead and Greg Millen
Radio: TSN 1290 – Dennis Beyak, Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz