The Winnipeg Jets finish a four-game road trip tonight with a trip to TD Garden in Boston to play the Bruins in Winnipeg’s second game in as many nights…The Jets beat the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-3 in a shootout last night and have earned a point in every game of the trip so far with a 2-0-1 record…After tonight’s game, the Jets return to Winnipeg to host the Nashville Predators on Sunday afternoon at Bell MTS Place.
Jan. 8 at TOR – 4-3 W
Jets Scorers: Ehlers (18), Appleton (1), Scheifele (21), Wheeler (SO)
Maple Leafs Scorers: Matthews (30, 31), Timashov (4)
Jets Goaltender: Connor Hellebuyck (25 sv, 3 ga)
Maple Leafs Goaltender: Frederik Andersen (24 sv, 3 ga)
Jets PP: 0-for-2
Jets PK: 3-for-3
Recap: The Jets received goals from three different players and Blake Wheeler scored the game-winning goal in the shootout last night, as Winnipeg beat Toronto 4-3…Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck stopped 25 shots in the win…Neal Pionk led the Jets with four hits.
Three Stars: 1. Scheifele 2. Matthews 3. Wheeler
Next Five Games
|Jan. 12||1:00 p.m.||Nashville||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 14||7:00 p.m.||Vancouver||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 16||7:00 p.m.||Tampa Bay||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 19||6:00 p.m.||At Chicago||United Center||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 21||7:00 p.m.||At Columbus||PNC Arena||TSN3||TSN 1290|
On the Road
Winnipeg is 14-7-2 on the road this season…The Jets are 3-0-1 in their past four road games…Winnipeg’s 30 points earned in road games is tied for third in the NHL…The Jets are in a stretch of seven of 10 games on the road…Winnipeg hasn’t lost consecutive games in regulation on the road this season…Mark Scheifele leads the Jets in scoring on the road with 27 points (10G, 17A) in 23 games, while Nikolaj Ehlers has a team best 13 goals…Ehlers has six points (3G, 3A) in his past four road games.
The Jets play three games in four nights this week, which ends tonight…It’s the first of two times they play three games in four nights before the all-star/player break later this month…The Jets play 11 games in 21 days from Jan. 2-22 leading up to the eight-day all-star/player break.
Back to Narrow Margins
The Jets have won their past two games by one goal…The Jets are 14-2-4 in one-goal games this season, which is third in the NHL…Winnipeg’s previous four wins before this week were by three goals or more.
The Jets have 10 back-to-back sets this season, the fifth of which is this week…The Jets are 4-1-0 in the first and 2-2-0 in the second game of back-to-backs this season…Four of the six wins have come in overtime or a shootout…Winnipeg went 6-3-0 in the first game and 5-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs last season.
Lock It Down
The Jets are 16-0-0 this season when leading after the second period…Winnipeg is the only team in the NHL this season to have a perfect record when leading after two periods…The Jets have held the lead after 40 minutes in each of their past 10 victories.
Mason Appleton’s shorthanded goal in the first period last night was Winnipeg’s second shorthanded goal in as many games…Nikolaj Ehlers scored shorthanded on Monday against Montreal…The pair of shorthanded tallies matches the two shorthanded goals Winnipeg had in the first 42 games of the season…Oddly enough, the Jets also had shorthanded goals in consecutive games last season on the exact same dates as this season – Jan. 6 vs. DAL and Jan. 8 vs. COL.
Neal Pionk led the Jets in ice time last night with 27:17…He’s played more than 27 minutes in a game five times during his career, four of which have happened this season…The 29:24 Pionk played on Nov. 2 at VGK is most by a Jets player this season and career high for him.
The NHL announced on Monday that Jets forward Mark Scheifele is the Second Star of the Week for the week ending Jan. 5/20…Scheifele opened the week with a four-point (1G, 3A) effort in Winnipeg’s 7-4 victory over the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday…On Thursday, the Jets assistant captain scored and added an assist in the Jets’ 6-3 setback to the Toronto Maple Leafs…On Saturday, Scheifele recorded two points (1G, 1A) in Winnipeg’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Minnesota Wild…The Kitchener, Oant. native shared the NHL lead with eight points (3G, 5A) this week.
Jets vs. Bruins Information
At Bell MTS Place: 7-3-0
At TD Garden: 8-15-8
- Three of the past four games between the Jets and Bruins have been decided in a shootout, with the Jets winning two of the three games…The past two meetings between the two teams in Boston have been decided via the shootout.
- Winnipeg is 2-2-3 in their past seven games in Boston.
- The Jets have been held to a single goal in five of their past seven trips to TD Garden.
- The Jets are 3-for-26 (11.5%) on the power play in their past nine games against Boston, but went 2-for-4 in the two games last season.
- Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in career scoring against the Bruins with 16 points (7G, 9A) in 20 games.
Career Scoring vs. Bruins
Career Goaltending Against Bruins
Former Bruins Playing for the Jets
F – Blake Wheeler
Former Jets Playing for the Bruins
F – Par Lindholm
- Needs one point to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs one goal to pass Marian Hossa (108) for 10th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs one shutout to pass Ondrej Pavelec (17) for the most shutouts in franchise history.
- Needs one assist to reach 100 assists for his NHL career
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs four penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- 3 vs. DAL – Reached 200 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- 6 at MTL – Played in his 400th career NHL game.
- 21 at MIN – Reached 100 points for his NHL career.
- 8 vs. ANA – Reached 400 points for his NHL career.
- 17 vs. CAR – Played in his 200th career NHL game.
- 10 vs. DET – Reached 200 goals as a member of the Jets franchise.
- 21 at MIN – Became the leading scorer in franchise history with 616 points
- 31 at COL – Played in his 900th NHL game.
Dec. 13 – Loaned F – David Gustafsson to Sweden for the 2020 World Junior Championship
Dec. 18 – Placed F – Andrew Copp and F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve; Recalled F – Mason Appleton and F – Jansen Harkins from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 19 – Claimed G – Eric Comrie off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings
Dec. 28 – Placed G – Eric Comrie on waivers
Dec. 29 – Reassigned G – Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 31 – Activated F – Mathieu Perreault from injured reserve
Jan. 2 – Reassigned F – Joona Luoto to the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Recalled D – Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Jan. 6 – Activated F – Andrew Copp from injured reserve; Placed D – Nathan Beaulieu on injured reserve.
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||37|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||28|
|Dmitry Kulikov*||Upper Body||Nov. 29 at ANA||18|
|Nathan Beaulieu*||Lower Body||Dec. 31 at COL||4|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 166
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (14) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Niku, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (3) – Beaulieu, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (7) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Kulikov, Letestu, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose lost 4-1 to the Rockford IceHogs last night to fall to 18-20-0 on the season…Skyler McKenzie scored the lone goal for the Moose…Manitoba continues their three-game road trip on Friday with the first of two games against the Grand Rapids Griffins.
TV: TSN3 – Dennis Beyak & Kevin Sawyer
Radio: TSN 1290 – Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz