The Winnipeg Jets make their lone trip to Scotiabank Arena this season tonight to face the Toronto Maple Leafs…The Jets are 1-0-1 during the trip after beating the Montreal Canadiens 3-2 on Monday night…Winnipeg finishes the trip on Thursday against the Boston Bruins in the Jets second game in as many nights.
Jan. 6 at MTL – 3-2 W
Jets Scorers: Morrissey (4), Ehlers (17), Copp (6)
Canadiens Scorers: Chiarot (6, 7)
Jets Goaltender: Connor Hellebuyck (29 sv, 2 ga)
Canadiens Goaltender: Carey Price (24 sv, 3 ga)
Jets PP: 0-for-1
Jets PK: 2-for-2
Recap: Nikolaj Ehlers (1G, 1A) and Blake Wheeler (2A) each had two points to lead the Jets to a 3-2 win against the Montreal Canadiens on Monday night…Andrew Copp scored the game-winning goal for the Jets in the third period…Connor Hellebuyck stopped 29 shots to earn the victory.
Three Stars: 1. Ehlers 2. Chiarot 3. Kovalchuk
Next Five Games
|Jan. 9||7:00 p.m.||At Boston||TD Garden||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 12||1:00 p.m.||Nashville||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 14||7:00 p.m.||Vancouver||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 16||7:00 p.m.||Tampa Bay||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Jan. 19||6:00 p.m.||At Chicago||United Center||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
On the Road
Winnipeg is 13-7-2 on the road this season…The Jets are 2-0-1 in their past three road games…Winnipeg’s 28 points earned in road games is tied for fifth in the NHL…The Jets are in a stretch of seven of 10 games on the road…Winnipeg hasn’t lost consecutive games in regulation on the road this season…Mark Scheifele leads the Jets in scoring on the road with 26 points (9G, 17A) in 22 games, while Nikolaj Ehlers has a team best 12 goals.
The Jets play three games in four nights this week…It’s the first of two times they play three games in four nights before the all-star/player break later this month…The Jets play 11 games in 21 days from Jan. 2-22 leading up to the eight-day all-star/player break.
Back to Narrow Margins
Monday’s win was Winnipeg’s 13th victory by one goal this season, which ranks third in the NHL…Winnipeg’s previous four wins were by three goals or more.
The Jets have 10 back-to-back sets this season, the fifth of which is this week…The Jets are 3-1-0 in the first and 2-2-0 in the second game of back-to-backs this season…Three of the five wins have come in overtime or a shootout…Winnipeg went 6-3-0 in the first game and 5-4-0 in the second game of back-to-backs last season.
The NHL announced on Monday that Jets forward Mark Scheifele is the Second Star of the Week for the week ending Jan. 5/20…Scheifele opened the week with a four-point (1G, 3A) effort in Winnipeg’s 7-4 victory over the Colorado Avalanche on Tuesday…On Thursday, the Jets assistant captain scored and added an assist in the Jets’ 6-3 setback to the Toronto Maple Leafs…On Saturday, Scheifele recorded two points (1G, 1A) in Winnipeg’s 3-2 overtime loss to the Minnesota Wild…The Kitchener, Ont. native shared the NHL lead with eight points (3G, 5A) this week.
Blake Wheeler tallied two assists on Monday for his 156th multi-point game with the Jets franchise, which moves him past Ilya Kovalchuk for the franchise record…Wheeler has 13 multi-point games this season, which has him tied for the team lead with Mark Scheifele…Wheeler has seven multi-point games in his past 13 games.
Andrew Copp scored his second game winning goal of the season on Monday, which matches the career high two game-winning goals he had last season…He’s the fourth member of the Jets to score multiple game-winning goals this season…Winnipeg’s past four game-winning goals have been scored by different players.
Jets vs. Maple Leafs Information
At Bell MTS Place: 7-4-0
Media Guide Page: http://jetsmedia.ca/Toronto-maple-leafs
Jets vs. Maples Leafs Notes
- The Jets have earned points in 11 of their past 15 games against the Maple Leafs (9-4-2), but have lost the past three meetings.
- The Jets are 11-6-3 against the Maple Leafs since the franchise relocated to Winnipeg for the 2011-12 season.
- Winnipeg has scored a power play goal in four consecutive games against Toronto (4-for-10, 40.0%).
- The Jets have been held to three goals or less in each of their past five games against the Maple Leafs.
- Ontario-born Mark Scheifele has 18 points (10G, 8A) in 13 career games against the Maple Leafs.
- Patrik Laine has six goals and seven points in seven career games against Toronto.
Career Scoring vs. Maple Leafs
Career Goaltending Against Maple Leafs
Former Maple Leafs Playing for the Jets
F – Nick Shore
Former Jets Playing for the Maple Leafs
G – Michael Hutchinson
- Needs one point to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs two goals to pass Marian Hossa (108) for 10th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs one shutout to pass Ondrej Pavelec (17) for the most shutouts in franchise history.
- Needs one assist to reach 100 assists for his NHL career
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs four penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- Dec. 3 vs. DAL – Reached 200 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- Jan. 6 at MTL – Played in his 400th career NHL game.
- Dec. 21 at MIN – Reached 100 points for his NHL career.
- Dec. 8 vs. ANA – Reached 400 points for his NHL career.
- Dec. 17 vs. CAR – Played in his 200th career NHL game.
- Dec. 10 vs. DET – Reached 200 goals as a member of the Jets franchise.
- Dec. 21 at MIN – Became the leading scorer in franchise history with 616 points
- Dec. 31 at COL – Played in his 900th NHL game.
Dec. 13 – Loaned F – David Gustafsson to Sweden for the 2020 World Junior Championship
Dec. 18 – Placed F – Andrew Copp and F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve; Recalled F – Mason Appleton and F – Jansen Harkins from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 19 – Claimed G – Eric Comrie off waivers from the Detroit Red Wings
Dec. 28 – Placed G – Eric Comrie on waivers
Dec. 29 – Reassigned G – Eric Comrie to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 31 – Activated F – Mathieu Perreault from injured reserve
Jan. 2 – Reassigned F – Joona Luoto to the Manitoba Moose (AHL); Recalled D – Sami Niku from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Jan. 6 – Activated F – Andrew Copp from injured reserve; Placed D – Nathan Beaulieu on injured reserve.
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||36|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||27|
|Dmitry Kulikov*||Upper Body||Nov. 29 at ANA||17|
|Nathan Beaulieu*||Lower Body||Dec. 31 at COL||3|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 162
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (14) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Niku, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (3) – Beaulieu, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (7) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Kulikov, Letestu, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose beat the Colorado Eagles 4-3 in overtime on Saturday to improve to 18-19-0 on the season…The win vaulted the Moose into a tie for third place in the Central Division…Kristian Vesalainen had a goal and an assist on Saturday for Manitoba and has seven points (2G, 5A) in his past six games…The Moose play their next three games on the road, beginning tonight against the Rockford IceHogs.
Radio: TSN 1290 – Dennis Beyak, Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz