The Winnipeg Jets finish a three-game homestand tonight when they welcome the Chicago Blackhawks to Bell MTS Place…The Jets are 1-1-0 during the homestand after a 6-3 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday night…The Jets visit the Minnesota Wild on Saturday afternoon before playing their last game before Christmas on Monday at home against the Montreal Canadiens.
Dec. 17 vs. CAR – 6-3 L
Jets Scorers: Roslovic (7), Laine (11), Scheifele (16)
Hurricanes Scorers: Wallmark (5), Aho (19, 20), Svechnikov (14), Staal (4, 5)
Jets Goaltender: Connor Hellebuyck (18 sv, 5 ga); Laurent Brossoit (4 sv, 1 ga)
Hurricanes Goaltender: Petr Mrazek (30 sv, 3 ga)
Jets PP: 1-for-2
Jets PK: 0-for-2
Recap: The Jets scored in each period, but lost 6-3 to the Carolina Hurricanes at Bell MTS Place on Tuesday night…Blake Wheeler had two assists for the Jets, while Mark Scheifele led the Jets with six shots…The Jets gave up four goals in the second period, which marks the second time this season they have allowed four goals in a period.
Three Stars: 1. Aho 2. Staal 3. Niederreiter
Next Five Games
|Dec. 21||1:00 p.m.||At Minnesota||Xcel Energy Center||Sportsnet||TSN 1290|
|Dec. 23||7:00 p.m.||Montreal||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Dec. 27||7:00 p.m.||St. Louis||Bell MTS Place||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Dec. 29||2:00 p.m.||At St. Louis||Enterprise Center||TSN3||TSN 1290|
|Dec. 31||8:00 p.m.||At Colorado||Pepsi Center||TSN3||TSN 1290|
Three in Five
With a win tonight, the Jets can earn three wins in their fifth consecutive five-game segment and six of their seven five-game segments this season…The Jets have scored an average of 4.25 goals per game in their current five-game segment, which is a season high.
Finding the Power
The Jets scored a season high three power play goals on Sunday against the Flyers and have a power play goal in four of their past five games (6-for-17, 35.3%)…After scoring a career high 12 power play goals last season, Mark Scheifele leads the Jets with six power play goals this season, including scoring four of Winnipeg’s past six power play markers.
The Jets are in the midst of playing five of six games at Bell MTS Place…Winnipeg is 10-6-1 on home ice this season, including 8-2-1 in their past 11 home contests…The Jets had their five-game home winning streak come to an end on Tuesday.
The Jets are 5-2-1 against divisional opponents this season…The Jets are 13-6-1 against the Western Conference this season…The Jets play five of their next six games against Western Conference teams…Kyle Connor leads the Jets in scoring against the Western Conference with 22 points (9G, 13A) in 20 games, while Mark Scheifele has a team-leading 10 goals.
Mark Scheifele (7G, 5A) is riding a seven-game point streak, which is the longest streak by a Jets player this season…It’s the second longest active point streak in the NHL…The longest point streak of Scheifele’s career is 10 games from Mar. 22-Apr. 9/16 (6G, 9A).
Defenceman Neal Pionk has seven assists in seven games in December, including four assists in his past two games…With 17 assists this season, Pionk is three assists away from matching the career high 20 assists he had last season…He’s averaging 0.50 assists per game this season, compared to 0.33 assists per game in his first two seasons in the NHL…He has 11 power play points (1G, 10A) in 34 games this season, compared to 13 power play points (2G, 11A) in 73 games last season.
Points Record in Reach
Captain Blake Wheeler is two points away from becoming the franchise’s all-time leader in points…With 614 points (201G, 413A) in 673 games, he’s one point behind Ilya Kovalchuk, who had 615 points (328G, 287A) in 594 games with the franchise when it was in Atlanta…Wheeler is already the franchise leader in assists with 413…He is coming off a pair of career high 91-point seasons and has closed in quickly on the record with 10 points (3G, 7A) in seven games in December.
Jets vs. Blackhawks Information
All-Time Record: 19-17-5
At Bell MTS Place: 6-6-2
Media Guide Page: http://jetsmedia.ca/Chicago-blackhawks
- Winnipeg has won six games in a row against Chicago and seven of the past eight games.
- The Jets swept the season series (4-0-0) last season for the first time in franchise history when playing multiple games in a season.
- The Jets have scored 35 goals in the past eight meetings with the Blackhawks, including 20 in the four games last season.
- The Jets are 36-for-39 (92.3%) on the penalty kill in their past 15 games against Chicago.
- Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in scoring against the Blackhawks with 28 points (9G, 19A) in 33 career games.
- Mark Scheifele’s eight points (3G, 5A) in four games against the Blackhawks last season is the most points by a Jets a player against Chicago in a single season…He had the game-winning goal in overtime in the first meeting this season (Oct. 12 at CHI – 3-2 OTW).
- Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck is 9-4-0 with a 2.32 goals-against average and .924 save percentage in 13 career starts against the Blackhawks.
Career Scoring vs. Blackhawks
Career Goaltending Against the Blackhawks
Former Blackhawks Playing for the Jets
D – Carl Dahlstrom
Former Jets Playing for the Blackhawks
- Needs two points to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs five goals to pass Marian Hossa (108) for 10th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs two goals to pass Dustin Byfuglien (122) for seventh in goals in franchise history.
- Needs seven penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs nine games played to reach 400 for his NHL career.
- Needs four points to reach 100 for his NHL career.
- Needs six penalty minutes to reach 300 for his NHL career.
- Needs three goals to pass Dany Heatley (80) for 12th in goals in franchise history.
- Needs four assists to pass Marc Savard (133) for 11th in assists in franchise history.
- Needs two points to pass Ilya Kovalchuk (615) for the most points in franchise history.
Recently Accomplished Milestones
- Dec. 3 vs. DAL – Reached 200 penalty minutes for his NHL career.
- Dec. 8 vs. ANA – Reached 400 points for his NHL career.
- Dec. 17 vs. CAR – Played in his 200th career NHL game.
- Dec. 10 vs. DET – Reached 200 goals as a member of the Jets franchise.
Nov. 29 – Placed D – Nathan Beaulieu on injured reserve
Nov. 30 – Recalled D – Cameron Schilling from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 4 – Placed D – Dmitry Kulikov on injured reserve; Claimed F – Nick Shore off waivers from the Toronto Maple Leafs; Reassigned F – Michael Spacek to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 5 – Activated D – Nathan Beaulieu from injured reserve
Dec. 6 – Reassigned D – Cameron Schilling to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 10 – Activated F – Gabriel Bourque from injured reserve; Activated F – Mason Appleton from injured reserve and assigned him to the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
Dec. 13 – Loaned F – David Gustafsson to Sweden for the 2020 World Junior Championship
Dec. 18 – Placed F – Andrew Copp and F – Mathieu Perreault on injured reserve; Recalled F – Mason Appleton and F – Jansen Harkins from the Manitoba Moose (AHL)
|Player||Injury||Date Injured||Games Missed|
|Mark Letestu*||Upper Body||—||27|
|Bryan Little*||Upper Body||Nov. 5 vs NJD||18|
|Dmitry Kulikov*||Upper Body||Nov. 29 at ANA||8|
|Mathieu Perreault*||Upper Body||Nov. 15 vs. PHI||1|
*- Currently on injured reserve
Man-Games Lost: 119
How the Jets Were Built
Drafted (13) – Appleton, Connor, Copp, Ehlers, Harkins, Hellebuyck, Laine, Little, Lowry, Morrissey, Poolman, Scheifele, Roslovic
Trade (3) – Beaulieu, Pionk, Wheeler
Free Agency (8) – Bitetto, Bourque, Brossoit, Kulikov, Letestu, Luoto, Perreault, Shaw
Waivers (3) – Dahlstrom, Sbisa, Shore
The Manitoba Moose lost 10-4 to the Colorado Eagles last night and went 1-4-0 on a five-game road trip…Seth Griffith had two assists for the Moose last night…Manitoba wraps up their pre-Christmas schedule with games against the San Antonio Rampage at Bell MTS Place on Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.
TV: TSN3 – Dennis Beyak & Kevin Sawyer
Radio: TSN 1290 – Paul Edmonds & Brian Munz