The Winnipeg Jets play their last home game of the regular season tonight when the Montreal Canadiens visit Bell MTS Place…The Jets are 1-2-0 during the four-game homestand after losing 5-4 to the New York Islanders on Thursday night…The Jets play their final four games of the regular season on the road, beginning Monday against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The Jets clinched their spot in the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs with their win last Saturday against the Nashville Predators…It’s the first time in franchise history that the Jets have reached the playoffs in back-to-back seasons…Winnipeg has a two-point lead on the Predators for first place in the Central Division…The magic number for the Jets to clinch its first divisional title since relocation is nine…If the playoffs started today, the Jets would host the Dallas Stars, who hold the Western Conference’s first wild card spot, in the first round of the playoffs.
Winnipeg has the fourth-best home record in the NHL this season at 25-11-4…The Jets have points in 14 of their past 19 home games (12-5-2), which included a seven-game winning streak from Jan. 6-Feb. 2…The Jets have the second-best power play at home in the NHL this season at 31.4% and have scored a power play goal in seven of their past eight home games (7-for-24, 29.2%)…Winnipeg’s 38 power play goals at home this season is second in the NHL…The Jets have a 57-18-6 record at Bell MTS Place during the past two seasons, which is the third best home record in the NHL…The Jets have scored 150 goals at home this season, which is third in the NHL, and have outscored their opposition 118-59 in their 25 wins.
Winnipeg plays its final game against an Eastern Conference team tomorrow…The Jets are 18-11-2 against Eastern Conference teams this season, including 7-6-2 against the Atlantic Division…Winnipeg went 19-7-6 against the Eastern Conference last season, including a 10-3-3 record versus the Atlantic Division and 9-4-3 record against the Metropolitan Division…The Jets are 5-3-1 in their past nine games against an Eastern Conference opponent…Blake Wheeler (10G, 28A) leads the Jets with 38 points in 31 games against the Eastern Conference.
March and April have historically been successful months for the Jets, as the team has gone 85-57-15 in those two months since relocation…During the past three seasons, the Jets are 35-14-2 in March and April, including a perfect 8-0-0 in April…Blake Wheeler is the franchise’s leading scorer in March with 122 points (47G, 75A) in 132 games…Goaltender Connor Hellebuyck is 18-9-2 in March during his career with a 2.68 goals-against average and .918 save percentage.
Blake Wheeler had an assist on Thursday to reach 69 assists this season, which ties Marc Savard’s franchise record for most assists in a season from the 2005-06 season…His assist on Thursday ended a four-game pointless streak…With 89 points (20G, 69A), Wheeler is guaranteed to have better than a point per game this season for the second consecutive season… Wheeler has scored 20 goals or more in six consecutive seasons…During the past four seasons, Wheeler’s 237 assists are second most in the NHL.
Kyle Connor is the NHL’s reigning first star of the week after he racked up eight points (5G, 3A) in three games, including his first career hat trick last Saturday against the Nashville Predators…Connor continued his torrid pace with a goal and an assist on Monday against Dallas…He has a career high 33 goals, 30 assists and 63 points this season…Connor has 19 points (11G, 8A) in his past 18 games, which includes six multi-point games.
Defenceman Jacob Trouba has seven assists in his past six games to reach 40 assists in a season for the first time in his career…Trouba leads Jets defencemen in scoring with a career-high 46 points and also has a career-high 0.60 points per game.
Double Digit Goal Scorers
Adam Lowry scored twice in the first period on Thursday to become the 10th Jets player to reach double digit goal totals this season…Tyler Myers needs one more goal this season to make it 11 Jets players with double digit goals…The Jets only had eight players reach 10 goals last season.
Brandon Tanev had a goal and two assists on Monday for his first three-point game of the season…He had one point in his previous 17 games…Tanev has set a franchise record for hits in a season with 272 (and counting) and has been credited with a hit in 74 of his 77 games this season.
Jets vs. Canadiens All-Time Records
At Bell MTS Place: 3-4-1
At Bell Centre: 10-20-2
2018-19 Game Log vs. Canadiens
|Feb. 7||Montreal||5-2 L||0-1-0 (34-17-3)||Scheifele (27), Lemieux (8)||Hellebuyck (48 sv, 5 ga)|
Jets vs. Canadiens Notes
- The Jets have lost the past two games against the Canadiens at Bell MTS Place. Winnipeg’s last home win against Montreal was on Mar. 5/16.
- Winnipeg and Montreal have combined for 20 goals in the past two meetings at Bell MTS Place.
- Winnipeg is 5-for-14 (35.7%) on the power play in the past four games against Montreal and are 4-for-7 (57.1%) on the power play in their past two games against the Canadiens at Bell MTS Place.
- Blake Wheeler has scored four of the eight power play goals the Jets have scored against Montreal since relocation.
- Mark Scheifele leads all active NHL players that have played at least 10 games against Montreal in shooting percentage against the Canadiens at 33.3% (7G, 21Sh).
- Blake Wheeler leads the Jets in career scoring against Montreal with 18 points (10G, 8A) in 35 games.
- Kyle Connor has four points (1G, 3A) in three career games against Montreal, while Patrik Laine has four points (3G, 1A) in four career games.
- Canadiens forward Joel Armia was traded by the Jets to the Canadiens on June 30/18. He had 58 points (26G, 32A) in 179 games with the Jets from 2015-2018.
- Jets defenceman Joe Morrow was acquired from Montreal last season on trade deadline day in exchange for a fourth-round selection in the 2018 NHL Draft.
- Jets forward Mathieu Perreault is from Drummondville, Que., which is less than 100 km from Montreal along the Trans-Canada Highway.
- Montreal’s Carey Price and Winnipeg’s Bryan Little won World Junior gold together representing Canada in 2007.
- Canadiens’ goaltending coach Stephane Waite and Jets’ goaltending coach Wade Flaherty were on the coaching staff of the Chicago Blackhawks together from 2008-2011.
- Jets’ forward Andrew Copp and Canadiens defenceman Jeff Petry are from Ann Arbor, MI.
- Jets defenceman Nathan Beaulieu was drafted by the Canadiens 17th overall in the 2011 NHL Draft and played for the Canadiens from 2012-2017.
- Needs one shorthanded assist to tie Marty Reasoner and Patrik Stefan (7) for the second-most shorthanded assists in franchise history.
- Needs two penalty minutes to reach 100 for his career.
- Needs three points to reach 200 points for his career.
- Needs seven wins to reach 700 as an NHL head coach.
- Needs six points to reach 200 points as a member of the Jets.
- Needs one assist to pass Marc Savard (69) for the most assists in a season in franchise history
- Needs eight goals to reach 200 as a member of the Jets franchise.
Recently Reached Milestones
Feb. 22 at VGK
Bryan Little – Reached 300 assists for his NHL career.
Paul Maurice – Passed Pat Quinn and moved into sole possession of eighth all-time in NHL wins with 685.
Feb. 26 vs. MIN
Dmitry Kulikov –Played in his 100th game as a member of the Jets.
Mar. 10 at WSH
Connor Hellebuyck – Played in his 200th game for his NHL career.
Mar. 12 vs. SJS
Jack Roslovic – Played in his 100th game for his NHL career.
Mar. 14 vs. BOS
Blake Wheeler – Set a franchise record for most career power play assists with 131.
Mar. 16 vs. CGY
Kevin Hayes – Reached 100 penalty minutes for his career.
Mar. 21 at VGK
Jacob Trouba – Played in his 400th game for his NHL career.
Mar. 23 vs. NSH
Paul Maurice – Passed Dick Irvin (692) for the seventh-most wins in NHL history.
Mar. 25 vs. DAL
Connor Hellebuyck – Reached 200 games started for his NHL career.
Mar. 28 vs. NYI
Ben Chiarot – Played in his 300th NHL game.