The Winnipeg Jets play the middle game of a three-game road trip tonight against the San Jose Sharks…The Jets started the road trip with a 4-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday night, which ended Winnipeg’s five-game winning streak…The Jets finish the road trip Saturday against the Vancouver Canucks before having a four-day Christmas break from Dec. 23-26…The next home action for the Jets is Dec. 27 against the Calgary Flames.
Party in the Pacific
The Jets are 5-2-1 against Pacific Division opponents this season and are in the midst of four consecutive games against Pacific Division opponents…Winnipeg was a dominant 17-4-2 against Pacific Division foes last season and are on a 16-3-3 run in their last 22 games versus the Pacific…Mark Scheifele (4G, 5A) and Dustin Byfuglien (1G, 8A) lead the Jets in scoring against the Pacific Division this season with nine points each, while Patrik Laine (7G, 1A) is averaging a point per game through eight games.
On the Road Again
After playing four of five games at home, the Jets are in the midst of five of seven games on the road where they are 9-6-0 this season…The Jets’ five-game road winning streak came to an end on Tuesday, which matched the franchise record Winnipeg set last year from Feb. 23-Mar. 8/18…The Jets have played just 15 games on the road this season, which is tied for the second fewest in the NHL…Patrik Laine (16G, 1A) and Blake Wheeler (2G, 15A) lead the Jets in scoring on the road with 17 points in 15 games.
After averaging 5.4 goals per game during their five-game winning streak, the Jets scored just once on Tuesday against Los Angeles…Winnipeg has been limited to one goal or less in just five games this season (0-4-1), which is tied for fourth fewest in the NHL.
Wonderful Time of Year
The Jets have posted an 8-2-0 record in December to climb into a tie for first place in the Western Conference…Winnipeg ranks in the top five of several categories this month, including being tied for the most wins.
|Jets in Top 5 in December|
|Wins – 8||T-1st|
|Points – 16||2nd|
|Goals For – 38||2nd|
|Shots For – 351||1st|
|Power Play Goals – 11||T-1st|
|Power Play Percentage – 30.6%||5th|
|Faceoffs Won – 300||2nd|
Mark Scheifele was named the NHL’s second star of the week on Monday…He opened the week with a goal and an assist in Winnipeg’s 6-3 win over the Chicago Blackhawks on Tuesday…On Thursday, the Kitchener, Ont. native had three points (1G, 2A), including an assist on the winner in the Jets’ 5-4 overtime win over the Edmonton Oilers…Scheifele scored a pair of goals, including the overtime winner, and added an assist as Winnipeg won in overtime again the following night in Chicago…On Sunday, he had a pair of assists and again tallied the winner in sudden death in a 5-4 come from behind victory over the Tampa Bay Lightning…He’s the second player in franchise history to record three-or-more points in three straight games (also Marc Savard from Nov. 9-12/05)…In total last week, he led the league in points with 11 (5G, 6A)…This is the third time this season (also Dec. 3 – First Star and Oct. 29 – Second Star) and the sixth time in his career that Scheifele has been selected in the NHL’s Three Stars of the Week…He is the fifth Jets player to be selected in 2018-19 after Winnipeg had eight appearances in the Three Stars of the Week last season…Scheifele joins Patrik Laine (Nov. 26 – First Star) and Blake Wheeler (Nov. 12 – Second Star) as members of the Jets that have earned NHL Three Stars of the Week honours this season.
Five in a Row
Mathieu Perreault has scored in five consecutive games, which is the longest goal scoring streak of his career…Three of his five goals have come on the power play and six different Jets have an assist on the five tallies…Perreault is one of nine players in the NHL to have a goal scoring streak of five games or longer this season.
Bryan Little (7-for-9, 78%) and Adam Lowry (7-for-10, 70%) each won 70% or more of their faceoffs against the Kings on Tuesday…It’s the third time this month the Jets have had two centremen take at least nine faceoffs in a game and won at least 70% of them…Lowry is fourth in the NHL in faceoff winning percentage at 57.6%.
While his four-game assist streak came to an end on Tuesday, Blake Wheeler is still second in the NHL with 39 assists in 34 games this season…Wheeler has 107 assists during the last two seasons, which is the most in the NHL, and he is the only player in the NHL to have more than 100 assists during that time frame…Wheeler’s 422 career assists is second among right wingers since his rookie season of 2008-09…He is one assist away from reaching 40 assists for the fourth consecutive season and sixth time in his career.
Jets vs. Sharks All-Time Records
At Bell MTS Place: 3-5-0
At SAP Center: 5-9-1
2017-18 Game Log vs. Sharks
|Nov. 25||San Jose||4-0 L||0-1-0 (14-6-3)||None||Mason (11 sv, 2 ga)|
|Jan. 7||Winnipeg||4-1 W||1-1-0 (25-11-7)||Hendricks (4), Dano (2), Perreault (11, 12)||Hellebuyck (32 sv, 1 ga)|
|Jan. 23||San Jose||5-4 OTW||2-1-0 (29-13-7)||Perreault (15), Armia (8, 9), Little (9, 10)||Hellebuyck (29 sv, 4 ga)|
2018-19 Game Log vs. Sharks
|Dec. 20||San Jose|
Jets vs. Sharks Notes
- The Jets have won back-to-back games against the Sharks after losing four in a row.
- Winnipeg is 2-for-6 (33.3%) on the power play in the two wins.
- The Jets franchise is 5-4-0 in their last nine games in San Jose.
- Since relocating to Winnipeg in 2011, the Jets franchise is 7-9-0 against the Sharks.
- The Jets have surrendered a power play goal in eight of their last nine games against the Sharks and are 24-for-33 (72.7%) on the penalty kill in the nine games.
- Dustin Byfuglien leads the Jets in career scoring against San Jose with 14 points (7G, 7A) in 26 games.
- Mark Scheifele has nine points (5G, 4A) in 10 career games against the Sharks. Four of his five goals have come on the power play.
- Goaltender Laurent Brossoit made his NHL debut against the Sharks on Apr. 9/15 when he was a member of the Edmonton Oilers, stopping 49 of 51 shots in a 3-1 loss in his only career appearance against San Jose.
- Sharks forward Evander Kane played the first six seasons of his career with the Jets franchise from 2009-2015 before being traded to the Buffalo Sabres on Feb. 11/2015 as part of a seven-player deal in which Winnipeg acquired current Jets Tyler Myers and Brendan Lemieux and the draft pick used to select Jack Roslovic.
- Sharks forward Joe Pavelski and Jets forward Blake Wheeler played together at the 2014 Winter Olympics for the USA.
- Jets forward Patrik Laine played with Sharks forward Jonas Donskoi for Finland at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
- Jets forward Nikolaj Ehlers and Sharks forward Timo Meier were teammates in the QMJHL with the Halifax Mooseheads from 2013-15.
- Jets forward Mark Scheifele and defenceman Josh Morrissey won a silver medal for Canada at the 2017 World Championship playing alongside Sharks defenceman Marc-Edouard Vlasic.
- Jets forward Blake Wheeler and Sharks defenceman Justin Braun played together in the USHL for the Green Bay Gamblers during the 2004-05 season.
- Jets forward Brendan Lemieux and Sharks forward Kevin Labanc were teammates in the OHL with the Barrie Colts from 2013-2015.